Round Rock ISD and the Round Rock Chamber are very excited to offer summer externships for secondary teachers, counselors and administrators. This program is designed to provide educators with an opportunity to spend quality time within a business or organization whose work relates directly to their subject area or position in the school district. The goal is for educators to gain a better understanding of how these entities run their day-to-day operations and integrate these learnings into their teaching. Ultimately, this better prepares their students for future careers.
Summer 2020. Participants will shadow business/organization representatives for three days, for a total of 24 hours. The hours of the day may vary based on the business or organization being shadowed.
Businesses and organizations in the Round Rock and Austin area.
See how three Round Rock ISD staff members benefited from externships in previous summers.
Round Rock ISD middle and high school staff members will complete an application telling us when they can participate, their role in the district (teacher/counselor/principal), and what type of business/organization they would like to shadow. Staff members will then be matched with a business/organization with similar interests.
IMPORTANT: On the application, please be careful when you pick the dates for your externship experience. You will pick a week; once you are assigned to your business partner, you and the partner will decide which three actual days you will be in the business during that week. Please make a firm commitment to the dates you are signing up for so that we can successfully match you and a business.
Pick from the following weeks:
Week of May 26
Week of June 1
Week of June 8
Week of June 15
Week of June 22
Week of July 6
Week of July 13
Week of July 20
Participants will be paid $500 for their time, and to help defray the costs of daycare, lunch, etc.
Participants will receive a $50 gas card for travel expenses.
Participants will receive 24 hours of professional development credit.
How do I apply?
The Summer 2020 application is now closed. Thank you for your interest.
- If you have participated in an externship in the past, you will be placed on a waiting list until we are able to find a match for any first-time participants.
- All applicants will be required to include the email addresses of two references: a Round Rock ISD campus or district administrator, and a Round Rock ISD colleague.
- 75 spots are available this summer. Please note that placement is not guaranteed.
- Once assigned to a business/organization, complete the agreement (sent to you after you are matched), and return to Peggy Mica (CTE) by May 22.
- Participants are required to:
- attend the mandatory orientation May 13, 5:00-6:00 p.m., at the Round Rock High School 1100 Building Cafeteria. (Missing the orientation may result in forfeiture of your externship experience.)
- follow the expectations, dress code, hours, etc., as stated by the business/organization.
- complete the entire 24-hour experience in order to receive the $500 stipend, gas card and the professional development credit.
- complete a program assessment and submit required forms after the experience.
- create a lesson plan to highlight your learning.
- share what you learned and how you will integrate it into your classroom by presenting created lesson plan(s) and experiences at the CTE PD Conference in August, the Fine Arts Job-Alike Day in August, or an approved venue.
- send a thank you letter to your externship host, stating how you plan to implement what was learned during the externship.