Summer 2018. Participants will shadow business/organization representatives for three days, for a total of 24 hours. The hours of the day may vary based on the business or organization being shadowed.
Businesses and organizations in the Round Rock and Austin area.
See how three RRISD teachers benefited from externship at Univision in Summer, 2017.
RRISD middle and high school staff members will complete an application telling us when they can participate, their role in the district (teacher/counselor/principal), and what type of business/organization they would like to shadow. Staff members will then be matched with a business/organization with similar interests.
IMPORTANT: On the application, please be careful when you pick the dates for your externship experience. You will pick a week; once you are assigned to your business partner, you and the partner will decide which three actual days you will be in the business. Please make a firm commitment to the dates you are signing up for so that we can successfully match you and a business.
Pick from the following weeks:
Week of June 4
Week of June 11
Week of June 18
Week of June 25
Week of July 9
Week of July 16
Week of July 23
Participants will be paid $500 for their time, and to help defray the costs of daycare, lunch, etc.
Participants will receive a $50 gas card for travel expenses.
Participants will receive 24 hours of professional development credit.
What are the requirements?
The Summer 2018 application is open February 19 – March 5, 2018.
- Note two changes/additions to the Summer 2018 externship:
- If you have participated in an externship in the past, you will be placed on a waiting list until we are able to find a match for any first-time participants.
- All applicants will be required to include the email addresses of two references: an RRISD campus or district administrator, and an RRISD colleague.
- 75 spots are available this summer. Please note that placement is not guaranteed.
- Once assigned to a business/organization, complete the agreement (sent to you after you are matched), and return to Peggy Mica (CTE) by May 29.
- Attend the mandatory orientation at the Round Rock High School 1100 Cafeteria on May 23, 2018, at 5:00-6:00 p.m. (Missing the orientation may result in forfeiture of your externship experience.)
- Follow the expectations, dress code, hours, etc., as stated by the business/organization.
- Complete the entire 24-hour experience in order to receive the $500 stipend, gas card and the professional development credit.
- Complete a program assessment after the experience.
- Create a lesson plan to highlight your learning
- Share what you learned and how you will integrate it into your classroom by presenting created lesson plan(s) and experiences at the CTE PD Conference in August, the Fine Arts Job-Alike Day in August, or an approved venue.